Dedicated to making a genuine impact on the future health of the breed.
In 1997, a small community of Portuguese Water Dog enthusiasts joined together and dedicated their time, money, hard work, and hearts to building a healthier future for Portuguese Water Dogs. From their collaborative efforts, the Portuguese Water Dog Foundation was formed for the sole purpose of supporting research to improve the health of the breed in not only breed specific diseases but also diseases like the various cancers and viral diseases that affect the general canine population including PWDs.
In 1998, the Portuguese Water Dog Foundation, Inc. was incorporated as a non-profit corporation and in 2000, the Foundation was granted status by the IRS to act as a 501(c)(3) charitable organization. This tax status means all donations made to the Foundation are tax-deductible.
The Portuguese Water Dog Foundation is a permanent and separate entity that was established for the sole purpose of supporting health research for the benefit of the Portuguese Water Dog. The Foundation followed the lead of many other breed specific groups, which have established Foundations that are separate entities successfully supporting research for the health of their specific breed. While the Foundation is not affiliated with the Portuguese Water Dog Club of America, we do share a common goal – the health of the breed.
All Officers and Board members of the Foundation serve as unpaid volunteers.
Research the Foundation has sponsored or co-sponsored has contributed to the future health of the breed in significant ways:
The gene that caused Juvenile Cardiomyopathy (JDCM), which resulted in puppies dying, was found, and a genetic test was developed.
The gene that caused prcd PRA (prcd Progressive Retinal Atrophy), which caused dogs to go blind, was found and a genetic test was developed.
In addition to the above successes, the Foundation continues to sponsor research related to cancer (hemangiosarcoma and lymphoma), IBD and Addison’s.
In addition, the Foundation partners and communicates with the Portuguese Water Dog Club of America to co-sponsor breed specific health research.
Over the years the Foundation has partnered with major universities in breed specific research as well as the Rabies Challenge Fund.
You too can make a difference and help us be able to carry-on with our mission to improve the quality of life and future health of our Portuguese Water Dog companions.
There are several opportunities where you can contribute, or make a donation in tribute to a special dog or person in your life.
Consider creating a fund raising drive for a cause near and dear to your heart.
Contact us for more information about donation and funding opportunities.
- Joan Bendure calls upon other long-time Portuguese Water Dog owners to gage interest in forming a health foundation for PWDs
- Portuguese Water Dog Foundation, Inc. was formed as a nonprofit organization
- Foundation granted 501(c)(3) status by the IRS
- Major research project began which would lead to genetic testing for JDCM
- Gene test for prcd-PRA released to the public
- Research with Jaime Modiano for hemangiosarcoma leading to potential diagnostic testing that was later patented
- Gene test for JDCM released to the public
- 10 year anniversary of Portuguese Water Dog Foundation, Inc.
- $250,000 funding milestone to health research by the Portuguese Water Dog Foundation
- $400,000 funding milestone to health research by the Portuguese Water Dog Foundation
- $500,000 funding milestone to health research by the Portuguese Water Dog Foundation
- Unprecedented partnership with the Golden Retriever Foundation, the American Boxer Charitable Foundation, the AKC Canine Health Foundation, and the Portuguese Water Dog Foundation to sponsor research to develop technologies that will allow researchers to prevent hemangiosarccoma (Shine On Challenge)
- Shine On Challenge project began to prevent hemangiosarcoma